Marta Izydorczyk PhD
Canadian Grain Commission employee since 2001.
Research Scientist and Program Manager
Research on Barley and Other Grains/Milling and Malting
Grain Research Laboratory
Area of expertise:
- Molecular structure and physicochemical properties of starch and non-starch polysaccharides, such as arabinoxylans and β-glucans.
- Understanding and controlling mechanisms responsible for technological performance and functionality of carbohydrate polymers from barley and other economically important Prairie grains in complex food systems.
- Evaluation of quality of malting barley
- Development of procedures to fractionate grains such as oats and barley to yield milled products with enhanced functionality.
- Evaluation milling performance of wheat for annual harvest report, milling performance of advanced wheat breeding lines.
Food and Nutritional Sciences
University of Manitoba
- Master of Science
University of Manitoba
- Bachelor of Science
Ryerson Polytechnical University, Toronto
Awards and recognition
- Director, 2011-2014, AACC International
- Honoured with an invitation to deliver the William F. Geddes Lecture , Northwest Section of AACC International, Minneapolis, MN, 2011
- Individual NSERC Discovery Grant, 2007
- Honoured with an invitation to deliver the 2007 Belfort Carbohydrate Lecture at the Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research, Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA (Ba-32). Persons chosen to give a Belfort Lecture are scientists who have made outstanding contributions to glycoscience.
- Co-chair, 5th Canadian Barley Symposium and the District of Western Canada Master Brewers Association of the Americas joint meeting, 2007
- Speaker, Department of Plant Science Seminar series at the University of Manitoba, 2007
- Co-chair, International Plant Polysaccharide Workshop, 2006
- Presenter, joint Symposium of the Carbohydrate and Protein Divisions of the AACC International, 2006
- Lecturer, International Forum on Cereal Science: Cereal Foods, Cooperation, and Opportunities, Canadian Session on Cereal Sciences, 2006
- Certificate of Appreciation, Career Mentor Program at the University of Manitoba, 2006
- Certificate of Appreciation, AACC International and the Master Brewers Association of the Americas, 2006
- Appointed Senior Editor of the journal Cereal Chemistry, 2006
- Program team appointee, World Grain Summit, 2005 Lecturer, Winnipeg Brewmasters’ meeting, 2005
- Certificate of Appreciation, Manitoba Buckwheat Growers Association, Inc., 2005
- Presenter, Brewing and Malting Barley Research Institute 19th Triennial Barley Improvement Meeting, 2004.
Professional affiliations and development
- Treasurer, Board of Directors of the Canadian Malting Barley Technical Centre (CMBTC), 2007-present
- Member, Canada Grain Regulation Committee, 2007-present
- Vice Chair, AACCI/ICC working Group: Collaboration Strategies for Publications and Scientific Content Dissemination
- Senior Editor, Editorial Board of Cereal Chemistry, AACC International
- Scientific advisor, Brewing and Malting Barley Research Institute (BMBRI) Technical Committee
- Sector Representative, Barley Council of Canada, Research and Innovation Committee
- Chair, Barley Quality Evaluation Team for the Prairie Recommending Committee for Oat and Barley, 2006-present
- Leader of the Food Barley Advisory Group for the Barley Quality Evaluation Team
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Food Science, University of Manitoba, 2004-present
- Member, Barley and Other Cereal Grains Sub-Committee, Western Standards Committee, 2004-present.
See the Canadian Grain Commission list of published scientific and technical papers.
- Date modified: