Organization of the Canadian Grain Commission
(report to the Minister)
(report to the Chief Operating Officer)
The Canadian Grain Commission is a federal government agency.
The Canadian Grain Commission operates under the authority of the Canada Grain Act. Its budget comes from a combination of fees it charges for its services and funds received from Parliament. The Canadian Grain Commission reports to Parliament through the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- Quasi-judicial powers to determine rights, resolve disputes and impose penalties
- Responsibility for making regulations and orders
- Responsibility for providing services to Canadians
Commissioners of the Canadian Grain Commission
A Chief Commissioner, an Assistant Chief Commissioner and a Commissioner head the Canadian Grain Commission. The Chief Commissioner supervises and directs the operations of the Canadian Grain Commission. The Assistant Chief Commissioner acts in the absence of the Chief Commissioner.
- Report to the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Set the organization’s strategic direction and vision
- Establish policy
- Administer and enforce the Canada Grain Act
- Arbitrate disputes
Chief Operating Officer
- Reports to the Chief Commissioner
- Co-ordinates and oversees the delivery of programs, services and activities of 3 divisions:
- Corporate Affairs
- Industry Services
- Grain Research Laboratory
Audit and Evaluation Services
Audit and Evaluation Services provides services to Canadian Grain Commission clients and staff.
Finance handles finances of the Canadian Grain Commission including accounts payable and accounts receivable.
Corporate Affairs provides services to the Canadian Grain Commission's external clients and its employees.
Industry Services provides inspection, grading and weighing services. It certifies Canadian grain for export.
Grain Research Laboratory
The Grain Research Laboratory conducts research on grain quality and safety.
The Canadian Grain Commission has representatives on 2 committees.
- Date modified: