Non-Registered Varieties of Beans, Chick peas, Corn, Lentils and Peas
Order number 2017-02
July 31, 2017
- The Canadian Grain Commission (the “Commission”) has authority under section 118(h) of the Canada Grain Act (the “Act”) to make orders constituting directives to the trade.
- The Commission, as described in section 28 of the Act, may permit assignment of a grade higher than the lowest grade for varieties of grain not registered under the Seeds Act.
- Under the Seeds Act, registration of varieties is not required for chick peas and corn, and the Commission is of the view it is in the interests of producers for unregistered varieties of beans, lentils and peas to receive grades higher than the lowest grade.
- This order is made by a quorum of 2 Commissioners
The Commission makes the following order:
- Beans, chick peas, corn, lentils and peas of a variety not registered under the Seeds Act are permitted to be assigned a grade that is higher than the lowest grade established by regulation for that kind of grain.
This order will continue in effect until it is amended or revoked.
Assistant Chief Commissioner
- Date modified: