Quality of Canadian non-food grade soybeans 2013

Weather and production review

Weather review

Soybeans are mainly grown in southern Ontario, southern Quebec and southern Manitoba.

The growing season in southern Ontario and southern Quebec was hot and dry in 2013. Seeding occurred early in Ontario and Quebec due to warm temperatures and dry soil conditions. Precipitation was average to below average, which aided in seeding. Total accumulated precipitation for the month of July ranged from 65 to 55 mm for Ontario and 109 to 118 mm for Quebec. A relatively dry fall aided in harvest. 

The weather on the prairies played an important role in providing a good quality crop. April temperatures were 4 to 5 degrees lower than average, which delayed seeding for about 2 to 3 weeks when compared to last year. The majority of seeding was completed by late May to early June.

Cooler temperatures in midsummer helped to increase oil content in the developing seed. A warm September and the absence of frost allowed crops to fully mature.

Weather maps for the entire growing season can be found at can be found at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada web site.

Production and grade information

Soybean production in Canada increased from 4.9 million tonnes in 2012 to 5.1 million tonnes in 2013 (Table 1).  In Ontario, production was 3.1 million tonnes, a decrease from 2012.  Production was higher than in 2012 in both Quebec (847,000 tonnes) and Manitoba (1.1 million tonnes). (Table 2)

Compared to 2012, yields from harvested areas in eastern regions were lower; in western regions, they were higher.  In Ontario, the yield was 3.0 tonnes/hectare, a decrease from last year’s 3.2 tonnes/hectare. In Quebec, the harvested yield was 2.9 tonnes/hectare, a decrease from last year’s 3.0 tonnes/hectare.  The harvested yield for Manitoba in 2013 was 2.5 tonnes/hectare, an increase from last year’s 2.4 tonnes/hectare.

Harvest survey samples submitted to the Canadian Grain Commission from Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba and Saskatchewan were graded by Canadian Grain Commission inspectors. 

In the 2013 survey, 98% of the samples submitted were in the top 2 grades. More than half of these samples came from the eastern region.  The remaining 2% of samples received were graded Soybean, No. 3 Canada and lower.

Table 1. Production of Canadian non-food grade soybeans
Year Seeded area (hectares) Production (tonnes) Yield (tonnes/ha)
2001 1,058,000 1,594,100 1.5
2002 974,700 2,220,100 2.3
2003 1,050,800 2,268,300 2.2
2004 1,225,900 3,041,500 2.6
2005 1,176,400 3,161,300 2.7
2006 1,213,500 3,465,500 2.9
2007 1,180,100 2,695,700 2.3
2008 1,202,400 3,335,900 2.8
2009 1,394,400 3,503,700 2.5
2010 1483000 4345300 2.9
2011 1549900 4297700 2.8
2012 1680400 4929600 2.8
2013 1828700 5198400 2.9

Source: Statistics Canada, CANSIM table 001-0010

Table 2 - Seeded area and production for eastern and western Canadian soybeans
Province Seeded area Production Average production
2013 2012 2013 2012 2003-2012
thousand hectares thousand tonnes thousand tonnes
Manitoba 424,900 323,700 1,068,200 770,200 541,800
Saskatchewan 68,800 N/A 1,800 N/A 68,800
Western Canada 493,700 323,700 1,070,000 770,200 610,600
Ontario 1,011,700 1,048,100 3,078,100 3,401,900 2,995,067
Quebec 15,500 1,700 847,000 843,000 4,443,000
PEI 24,300 20,800 61,500 51,400 252,300
New Brunswick 6,500 4,000 13,200 9,300 10,000
Eastern Canada 1,058,000 1,074,600 3,999,800 4,305,600 7,700,367

Source: Statistics Canada, CANSIM table 001-0010, CANSIM (database).