Quality of Canadian non-food grade soybeans 2014

Weather and production review

Weather review

It was a challenging growing season for soybeans in the eastern Canada. The majority of the soybeans were planted in the last week of May and first week of June. The growing season was relatively cool and wet, which resulted in a later-maturing crop and a late harvest.
Source: Ontario: Ministry of Agriculature, Food, and Rural Affairs

Climate across the Prairies was quite varied during the 2014 growing season. Spring temperatures were 4 to 5 degrees lower than average, which delayed seeding by about 2 to 3 weeks. The majority of seeding was complete by late May and early June. Most of the soybean growing regions received a lot of precipitation, which also delayed harvest. The harvest was completed by the 3rd week of October.
Source: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada

Production and grade information

Soybean production in Canada increased from 5.3 million tonnes in 2013 to 6.0 million tonnes in 2014. In Ontario, production was 3.8 million tonnes, an increase from 2013. Production was higher in 2014 in both Quebec (898,000 tonnes) and Manitoba (1.1 million tonnes).

Harvest samples submitted to the Canadian Grain Commission from Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Manitoba and Saskatchewan were graded by Canadian Grain Commission inspectors.

Of the samples submitted, 97% were in the top 2 grades. More than half of these samples came from eastern Canada. The remaining 3% of samples received were graded Soybean, No. 3 Canada and lower.

Table 1 - Seeded area and production for eastern and western Canadian soybeans
Province Seeded area ProductionFootnote 1 Average production
2014 2013 2014 2013 2009-2013
hectares tonnes tonnes
Manitoba 514,000 424,900 1,107,700 1,068,200 601,720
Saskatchewan 109,300 68,800 163,300 118,400 23,680
Western Canada 623,300 493,700 1,271,000 1,186,600 625,400
Ontario 1,242,400 1,052,200 3,791,100 3,238,600 3,130,860
Quebec 348,000 288,500 898,000 847,000 768,600
PEI 26,300 24,300 60,100 61,500 47,040
New Brunswick 6,100 6,500 13,600 13,200 8,000
Nova Scotia 4,900 4,000 14,800 12,000 7,700
Eastern Canada 1,627,700 1,375,500 4,777,600 4,172,300 3,962,200
Total Canada 2,251,000 1,869,200 6,048,600 5,358,900 4,587,600

Footnotes

Footnote 1

Statistics Canada. Table 001-0010 - Estimated areas, yield, production and average farm price of principal field crops, in metric units.

Return to footnote 1 referrer